Q: Why a Junior Board?
A: Through the Junior Board, Catholic Charities addresses its sustaining interests – to insure that succeeding generations understand, value, and take part in the mission of Catholic Charities. In addition, the Junior Board provides young Chicagoans with the opportunity to fulfill their personal call to service through the Church. The Junior Board taps into the energy and creativity of young professionals – utilizing skills that are invaluable to an organization like Catholic Charities, but distinct from the responsibilities of the Board of Advisors. Most importantly, the Junior Board represents an opportunity for young people to connect with their peers through their own social events and service activities.
Q: What does a Junior Board member do?
A: The Junior Board presents diverse opportunities for participation, and members are expected to maintain a minimum level of attendance in order to sustain active membership. Membership to the Junior Board is a commitment to the programs of Catholic Charities as displayed through participation in Junior Board and agency-wide activities. Member roles and responsibilities are detailed below.
- Members are appointed to a two year term. Every other year a mailing will go out which gives members the opportunity to re-dedicate themselves to the mission of the Junior Board, share ideas and opinions, and update contact information.
- Members are required to sit on at least one Committee of their choosing (which they will indicate on their membership application). Sitting on a committee does not imply your time is exclusive to that committee. In fact, all members are strongly encouraged to participate in the wide variety of events and volunteer activities that are offered.
- Committees: Faith Committee, Volunteer Committee, Social Committee. Please click on their links on the left to learn more about them!
- Members are strongly encouraged to perform one hour of service or attend one event per month.
- It is expected that each Junior Board member give or procure a minimum donation of $100 per year. The $100 can be reached by means of a personal donation, the purchase of event tickets, or procurement of funds or goods (opportunities for underwriting or in-kind gifts) to benefit volunteer activities or Junior Board social events and fundraisers. Although personal giving is appreciated from Junior Board members, it is not required as payment of dues for participation in this group. In addition, Junior Board members are asked to procure matching gifts from their employer.
- Members are encouraged to attend all General Meetings (see below), with each member required to attend at least two General Meetings per year.
The Junior Board will meet quarterly. These meetings are called “General Meetings,” and they are a great opportunity for the entire Junior Board to gather for networking and fellowship. At these meetings we hear updates on Catholic Charities and their impact in our communities, Executive Committee Advisors give brief reports on the happenings of each of the Volunteer, Faith, and Social committees, new members are recognized and welcomed, and members are given the opportunity for socializing and relationship building.
General Meetings will convene in Vincent Hall at Catholic Charities Saint Vincent Center, 721 North LaSalle Street in Chicago, at 6pm with Mass offered in the third floor chapel followed immediately at 7pm by dinner, cocktails, and the meeting. All activities will be completed by approximately 8pm.
Q: Are there dues associated with membership?
A: No, but we do suggest that members give or get at least $100 each year. Any dollars spent on tickets to an event count toward that goal. Also, members who solicit funds or goods in support of an event or program will have those dollars counted toward the goal.
Q: When can I join?
A: Recruitment of new members occurs throughout the year. Most of the current members came through referrals from other friends or family members who sit on the Board of Advisors or the Junior Board. All willing and dedicated young adults are eligible for membership to the Junior Board. Please contact Lara Brislin by phone at (312) 655-7932 or by email at if you have more questions about membership.
Q: I don't have time to be a member. Can I come to the social events?
A: Of course! The more, the merrier! Consult the calendar for our next social event.
Q: I want to volunteer for Catholic Charities, but I don't want to become a member of the Junior Board just yet. What do I do?
A: Contact Lisa Jerzyk, the Director of Volunteer Relations, at or at (312) 655-7768.
Q: You haven't answered my question yet. Who do I call?
A: Call Lara Brislin at (312) 655-7932 and she'll get you answers.